I'm sorry, Do I know you???

Last week I needed the oil changed in my car so Friday morning I woke up and decided I would go into town a little earlier and get the oil changed and then head into work. I get to Randy’s (the oil place) and park my car and go into the lobby to take a seat and I planned to read my book while I waited. Well little did I know that I was about to have a ten minute conversation with a complete stranger.

You know when you walk into a place where people are seated and waiting, you look for a seat that is the furthest away from everyone else. Well I walk in and there is a lady and a man sitting waiting and then a boy playing with blocks on the floor. I sit in a chair in the middle of the two, but with about 2 chairs between both of them. I sit down, pull out my book and it started.

“I have family from Michigan coming in this week and I have to get ready for them.”

When I hear the lady beside me say this I look around to see who she is talking too and when I turned my head and looked at her, I realized it was me she was talking to. I look at her to see if I know her and I realize that I have no clue who the lady is. After about 30 seconds of me sitting there not saying anything, I respond, “Oh really, that sounds like fun.” And then I turn back and look down at my book to try to read, hoping the lady gets the hint that I was not interested in striking up a conversation with her.

Well the hint was not gotten. She continued to talk to me about her family from Michigan and how they were bringing their two big dogs, named Lance and Master (dumb names) and how they were inside dogs, but they were not staying inside her house and tearing up everything. After the family conversation, she quickly moved on to tell me how her husband is in the army and he might be going back to Iraq and how he was gone for most of her son’s childhood. But her dad was in the army so she’s used to this lifestyle.

Then she moves unto how her kids going to Doby's Mill Elementary, which is where Mary works. So after telling her that Mary works there, she goes on to say, I know her, I know her, she works at Doby's Mill, I know her—she got a little too excited that she knew my sister. Then she continues to tell me all the teachers/staff that Doby’s let go, due too the price cuts. Which lead to the how much she hated Obama and how bad of a man he is.

Finally, Sandy (the lady that works at the oil place) walks in and I think to myself thank God, please let my car or her car be ready. Sandy calls up the lady to the counter. What does she say when she gets up to the counter to pay?? “I have family from Michigan coming in this week and I have to get ready for them.”

I just start shaking my head because I’m like OMG here we go again. While she is talking to Sandy her son is picking up the blocks from the floor and putting them back into the toy box that they have in the lobby. Well she keeps saying “Son, we have to go, pick up your toys. Son, we have to go, pick up your toys.” Well the boy already had the toys picked up and had already walked out the door and went outside. And she continued to say “Son, we have to go, pick up your toys,” having no clue that her son was already gone and had already picked up the toys. Finally the lady finishes paying and talking to Sandy about her family coming into town and she turns around and sees that her son is gone. She grabs her pocketbook and then drops her keys and walks off. Of course I had to go pick up the keys and I caught up with her and I say, “maim you dropped your keys” and she turns around and says “Oh I guess I can’t go anywhere without those” and then she says “We have to go, family is coming in” and walks off and I just turn around shaking my head, smiling.

3 comments: